Thursday 14 June 2012

My Imaginary Second Family (or Random Photos)

When you buy as much second-hand tat as I do, you tend to accumulate some interesting bits and bobs along the way.

I now have a pile of other people's family photos (in an envelope marked as such, to avoid confusion in case my descendants ever want to do some family history).

They make me feel kind of happy-sad - happy to have a glimpse into the past, but sad that they have strayed from their "proper" family.  Out of respect to the black and white and sepia strangers of my imaginary second family, I am unable to throw away these found photos.

I thought you might like to have a look at some of my favourites


"Too fast - Wanna get off" - thank goodness Alton Towers had yet to be invented



Remember the days before digital?  You could use a whole reel of film trying to get everyone smiling at once.
No such wasteage here!
I absolutely love the lines of that playground horse.  Wonder if it was made by "Wicksteed of Kettering"?



I am lusting after the curtains in this Skegness pub
I bet the kids were outside with a bottle of pop and a bag of crisps.  Still, at least the parents would have known where they were - unlike the Camerons.


 
Triang Toy Shop - top pressie!

7 comments:

  1. "....unlike the Camerons" - too right. silly people... ;)

    how sad that there was no one in the family to take custody of those photos, if they came from a house clearance.... but lovely that you're taking good care of them.

    I remember being scared witless on one of those long horse things - the big kid at the front wouldn't stop! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're from all over the place, tucked into books, at the bottom of a button tin, mixed in with a bag of postcards - every one of them a lovely surprise.
      I remember being horribly dizzy on one of the roundabouts, not so long ago - the little kids wouldn't stop!

      xx

      Delete
  2. Is that a bubbly swimming costume I see on the little girl at the beach. I remember mine and also the rocking horse - don't sit at the back!
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is!
      I love this photo, she looks so happy.
      xx

      Delete
  3. I am fascinated by old photos, I have a small collection from a secondhand shop near me. The ones I left behind which I now regret were many of a married couple on a cruise in 1972. Very well dressed and possibly in their 40's/50's at the time. There are also quite a few of a little girl on her trike (her name was Nancy) and a couple of old ladies on a trip to Scotland possibly in the 70s or 80s. So sad that they have been dumped but I wont be getting rid of them x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sad to find "orphaned" photos. From the era that these were taken, and the ages of the people, I'm sure that there must be some living relatives somewhere. It would be lovely to re-unite them, but there are no clues, not even writing on the back.
      I think the little girl splashing in the sea looks like a Nancy - she can be my imaginary Aunt Nancy xx

      Delete
  4. Great to know there are other people out there who "rescue" old photos! I must label mine - "not related" or something similar, as the oldest in my family I have the job title of family genealogist, and I wouldn't want anyone to confused in 100 years time!! Sx

    ReplyDelete