Tuesday 31 May 2011

Foundlings

I seem to have acquired an accidental collection of what I think of as "foundlings" - stuff I find on the street/bus/train.

I have my own set of rules about what I pick up and bring home, foundlings must be :
found in circumstances where it is not possible to trace the previous owner ;
clean ;
non-porous (so I can clean them properly) ;
beautiful/interesting/useful.



The little charm in the bottom right-hand corner deserves a close-up :



Not easy to photograph, being so small and intricate, but it is a tiny bird-cage, with an opening door, and a little bird on a swinging perch.
It's just ordinary metal, no marks, about 2.5 inches tall and someone has clearly taken a lot of time to make it.

Does anyone else collect "foundlings"? Do you have your own set of unwritten rules?

9 comments:

  1. wow you got sharp eyes to spot such lovely things, never thought of that. The bird cage charm is gorgeous! Thanks for dropping by my blog btw, Following you!

    love~mongs
    mythriftycloset.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's surprising what people leave lying around the street. I always feel sorry for little children's gloves or toys that have fallen from a push chair. These are always put on the nearest wall. Whether they are found or not I don't know.

    Love from Mum

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lost cuddly toys make me so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the bird cage charm! And yes, I collect 'foundlings' - no rules but mostly miniatures and nature items. I love finding goodies washed up or left behind at the beach. Heading there tomorrow to collect away!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to, not anymore.

    My friend & I had a bad habit of it. A gave her a squirrels tail in a bag that I had found on someone's lawn, which she left on the tale during Easter dinner with her family & she sent me a used fork she found on the bus with hairs, pasta & god knows what else on it. So, no, we didn't have any rules. Should have though, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ kiki - wish I was close to a beach - I love beach-combing

    @ Sir Thrift-A-Lot - sounds like you were into the "extreme sport" version. Respect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you shared the detail on the bird cage! Sir Thrift a Lot, that is too gross! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The bird cage is a real charmer! My best ever finds - an angel that I found in my parking space, she now hangs from my rear view mirror. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. VERY cool collection! I'm in love with that coin!

    ReplyDelete